10/10/11

What A Legacy.

There have been many times when I wished I had been fortunate enough to have had even one coach like you when I was growing up. Out of all of the coaches for whom I played, none made the kind of impression on me that you made on literally hundreds of young men over the years. You drove them to be and achieve more than they could have done on their own, or could have even dreamed. But it has gone so much further than that. You served as the only "father" that so many of them ever really had. You taught them how to win and how to handle loss. That is importnt in football, but so much moreso in life. Your teaching and example have served them well in both scenarios. You have been and remain shining example of someone who is always willing to give whatever he has to others who need it - whether it is advice, a helping hand, material needs, encouragement or just an attentive ear. Moreover, you have handled incredible disappointment, illness and constant pain with a grace and toughness that are literally other-worldly. There is no doubt that God has, for reasons unknown to us until we meet him face to face, seen fit to place you in such a role. I can tell you this, for certain, though: The halls of heaven will be much fuller because of your influence on and example to so many. Wins and losses aside, that's what matters most.

No, I never had a coach like you. Unfortunately, a lot of young men did not. But even less young men had a Dad like you. I do. What a blessing that is! How many kids get to stand next to their father and get to be a part of what he does for a living? Yes, I have had to share you with countless others. But, I have come to understand over these many years that this was your calling. It was your ministry. God had young men He needed to reach and He needed someone who, much like His Son, would meet them where they are and provide them with a "real life" example of how to live, lead and, more importantly, how to serve - regardless of what curves life may throw you.

Thank you for staying the course, even in the most challenging circumstances; for never surrendering; for teaching me the true meaning of perseverence and selflessness; for always being my biggest supporter and for your unconditional love. You are the very definition of a real man and I am more proud than you will ever know to be able to call you Dad.

I love you, Dad.

Greg

No comments: