10/6/11

Happy Birthday, Coach ... Mr. Todd ... Don!?!

Though with Greg and friends we always refered to you as Don, I could never call you Don in person.  It might convey a lack of respect coming from someone young enough to be - and who in many respects considered himself to be - a son of yours.  But nothing could be further from the truth. "Don," in my vocabularly, stands for a mountain of a man deserving the utmost respect.  (Like "Kay" stands for super-mom!)

I grew up watching you coach and respecting your accomplishments (masking tape notwithstanding).  I grew up watching you love your family and respecting how you extended that love to so many others, myself included.  I grew up watching you love God and respecting how you shared that conviction openly and honestly with others.  All that seems like yesterday to me, so 70 is hard to believe!  The years have passed, and I have not seen you as much as I'd like during that time.  But I have had the opportunity watch Greg in his life journey.  As I continue to enjoy that relationship, my respect for you (and Kay) continues to grow in all that I see in him and all that you instilled in him.

You've been a positive influence in so many lives.  You've brought joy to so many people in so many ways.  I'm grateful for the many ways you've touched and influenced my life, directly and indirectly, and I wish you supreme joy and God's blessings on this special ocassion.  Happy birthday!  Or, if I may be so bold, happy birthday, Don!

Much love, John B.

No comments: