10/6/11

A Bright Young Man

Coach Todd, I remember when you arrived at Browne Jr. High as an assistant coach. I was scared about many things, the way junior high kids are. Somehow, I knew that your presence would make things better.
And then I saw you and Kay at church. My fears were further put to rest. From that day in the 60s until today those initial assumptions and assurances have never been in question. You never preached or prodded, only encouraged - and that with a good deal of smiling and laughter. Two things stand out from the early years...I had first period study hall at Carter and when it came time for Driver's Ed you and I would hit the road! I remember shopping for fishing gear - a worthy endeavor on school time. Then there was the Saturday morning on the field after the Richardson game, a 20-0 loss for the Cowboys. You lined us up shoulder-to-shoulder on the sideline of the practice field...went down the line...hugged each one of us and congratulated us for the effort. That loss was eclipsed by your recognition of the "fighting heart" attitude that was on display the night before. A loss? A hug? Character building. I thank God for the many people that instilled that in your life. It has made a difference in mine.
Susan and I, as you well know, named our first son Don Todd. I've have tried to pass along the blessings of character, moral fortitude, a cheerful spirit, and faith. So, as they say in the world of golf: your mentors, you, and I have "skin in the game" in our Don's life...and the blessings go on from generation to generation.
And besides all that, when we were in a "jam" you and Kay adopted our beloved pet, Penny. Now, that is duty above and beyond! Coach, I've know you for most of my life...and you have made a differrence.
Randy Nix

No comments: