10/8/11

Coach, Mentor, Best Man & Life-Long Friend





Coach Todd,

Happy Birthday!!!!!!! (7 x ! = 70)

I hope you have a great day with Kay, Greg, Jenna and their families.  I remember one of our first meetings
back in the summer of 1969.  You were teaching driver's ed and you stopped by and talked with me about
playing at Carter while I was working as a brick laborer at a house near Oak Cliff Country Club.  From that
day forward there are so many other memories I have about our long and cherished friendship.

Asking you to be my "Best Man" was a no brainer.  You were the "BEST" in my book. There was no doubt
that I wanted to model my life and marriage after yours!   By the way, you must
have been a pretty good choice as Debbi has kept me around for 35 years!  We have shared a lot of pleasant
 memories both on and off the football field.  You have played many roles in my life - coach, friend,
 brother and have been like a father to me as well.  God knew that I needed a strong role model in my life -
so He made sure that our paths would cross!   I truly appreciate everything you have done for me.  
I look forward to making many more memories throughout our lifetime and I figure with all you've been through,
God still has lots of unfinished work for you!
 
I know that we don't get to see you as often as we used to, but you are always close in our hearts!  The
way that you have always loved us and our children is so heartwarming and you'll never know the sense
of peace that I have in my heart knowing that you love us and pray for us each and every day.  I have
grown so much by knowing you and having you two share your wisdom with me!  You have always made
time to listen to the two of us throughout the years and for that we are eternally grateful that God
placed you into our lives!  Who knew that back in 1969 on that first encounter that our friendship
would blossom into  such a beautiful one!
 
You, Kay and your family have a very special place in our hearts and our family is very blessed that our paths
crossed with yours!  We look forward to celebrating many more birthdays!  Enjoy your day, Coach and
as you sit back and reflect on this day, take comfort in knowing that you have touched so many lives
in your 70 years...you are amazing!
 
Enjoy #70 and look to #80!
 
Love ya,
Joe and Debbi Rust & the rest of the fam


No comments: